Saturday, June 16, 2012

Over The Road Snacks

Who doesn't love snack foods?  I was trying to think of some easy preparable, highly fresh containable,  made-with-love snack foods I could send with Barry once he goes back over the road next week.  I know I can just buy snacks for him at the store, but I wanted to make him something so he would know how much he is loved.  I thought about making him chex mix since that is one of his favorite snacks and then I also had the idea for rice krispy treats.  That was where I hit a brick wall (so to speak) and ran out of ideas.  My best friend, Angel, came to the rescue and gave me some other good thoughts.............cookies, haystacks, brownies or chocolate dipped pretzels.  Those are all now on my list to prepare him for future travel.  However, for this trip, I decided to make him chex mix.  Here's the simple recipe I always use when making the homemade version.  Enjoy!

HOMEMADE CHEX MIX

1 stick butter
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2-3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 C Corn Chex cereal
3 C Rice Chex cereal
3 C Wheat Chex cereal
1-2 C nuts (your choice of peanuts, cashews or mixed nuts)
1 C pretzel sticks or mini pretzels

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Melt butter in 15 x 10 x 2 inch pan.  Remove from oven.  Stir in seasoned salt, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.  Then add Chex cereals, nuts and pretzels and mix until all ingredients are well coated.  Bake in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and spread on paper towels to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment