Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Low Calorie Applesauce Cornbread

I love cornbread.  Normally, cornbread is what my mom makes when she fixes Puddin's Pinto Beans.  We haven't had any pinto beans lately, but I was just craving some good old cornbread hot out of the oven with some butter on top of it.  That sounded so good........yum!  However, since I'm on a diet, I can't have Puddin's fattening cornbread, so I decided to make some low calorie cornbread on my own.  I came up with this recipe after looking at another low calorie cornbread recipe on the internet.  Here it is:

Low Calorie Applesauce Cornbread
Adapted from www.food.com

1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup skim milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl and all wet ingredients in another bowl.  Spray a little bit of pan spray oil in a cast iron skillet and then put it in the oven to preheat while preparing the cornbread mixture. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, don't over stir.  Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven and pour the cornbread mixture in it, then place it back in the oven.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Makes 8 slices at 140 calories each.











No comments:

Post a Comment