Saturday, March 10, 2012

Grandma Puddin's Sausage Gravy

I love the days that I'm home and not at work.  I get to relax and spend time with my family.  I also finally have the extra time I like to take to make a home cooked meal.  Last night on the menu for dinner was my homemade sausage gravy over some whop 'em biscuits.  Unfortunately, I'm not much of a homemade biscuit maker, so I'm skipping that and making whop 'em biscuits instead.  Our minister calls them whop 'em biscuits because you buy the can of biscuits at the store, take them home, whop them on the counter to open the can, then bake them.  Thus the name, whop 'em biscuits!  Pretty funny I think.

I learned the basics of how to make sausage gravy from watching my Grandma Puddin.  She was an awesome cook and an awesome lady.  My only regret is that I wish I would've watched her cook more when I had the chance, I know she would've taught me a lot more.

Anyways, I decided today to share this simple recipe of how I learned to make sausage gravy several years ago.


Grandma Puddin's Sausage Gravy

1 (16 oz) package of Jimmy Dean's Regular premium pork sausage
1/3 C bacon grease (substitute vegetable or canola oil in you don't have any bacon grease)
1/2 C flour
1/2 gallon milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the sausage in a skillet on the stove top.  Break the sausage up and cook it just like you would cook ground beef.  Add some salt and pepper to the sausage and stir.  Once it's cooked, add the bacon grease or oil and stir.  Next add the flour to the cooked sausage and stir, once that is thick looking, pour in the milk.  You can now add more salt and pepper if you want.  Turn the stove top temperature setting to 6, because you need it high enough to make the milk mixture boil.  Slowly stir at all times so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the skillet.  Once it has a good boil, turn it down to a 4, but keep stirring until it thickens.  I generally have to cook it for approx 5-10 minutes after it first started to boil.  Once it is pretty thick, take it off the stove.  Let it stand for about 10 minutes, it will get even thicker.  Enjoy this sausage gravy over either whop 'em biscuits or homemade biscuits, it's your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment