Friday, March 16, 2012

Caramel Frappe For Two

My sister, Stephanie, got me hooked on caramel frappes from McDonald's last year.  Her family had come down to visit and we had went to the Nature Center for the kids to walk and burn off some extra energy.  Afterwards, we were thirsty and wanted a treat, so we headed to Mickey D's.  It was Happy Hour, between 2 and 4 when you are able to save one dollar on shakes, mcflurries or frappes.  I had never tried one before, so I decided to give it a try, what could it hurt?  Oh my goodness, if I only knew!  It was absolutely dreamy, I'm not kidding, it was delicious!  It was hook, line and sinker from then on.  I then just waited for the days I was off work so I could drive thru McDonald's at Happy Hour time to buy one.  I then got brave and looked up the calories on-line.  Holy cow, those small caramel frappes have 450 calories in them.  That isn't a snack, it's more like a meal!!!  I decided then I needed to find a recipe that would come as close to what they were but without all those calories.  That's when I found this recipe and adjusted it a little bit so I could get it to taste as close to what McDonald's sells.  It's still not exactly what they sell, but it's close enough for me and I'm happy with the calories.  Here it is:


Caramel Frappe for 2
from www.food.com


½ cup hot water
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons Maxwell House international cafe sugar free French Vanilla
2 tablespoons Smuckers sugar free caramel ice cream topping
2 cups ice (may need more ice if you like it icy)
½ cup 2% milk
3 equal packets and 1 sweet-n-low packet or you can use 4 or 5 splenda packets
1 big squirt of rediwhip whipped cream in a can

In a heat-tempered, glass measuring cup (2 cup size), heat water in microwave, on high, for about 40 seconds.  Add instant coffees. Stir until both are dissolved.  Add caramel to coffee mixture and stir.
In blender or smoothie machine, place 2 cups of ice. Add 1/2 C milk, and then the coffee/caramel mixture.  Add your sugar substitute choice.  Process on "ice crush" setting until ice is small enough to go through a standard straw.  Now pour half the mixture into a glass, squirt the rediwhip whipped cream on top and enjoy.

Depending on one's taste, milder or stronger versions of this can be achieved by increasing or decreasing each ingredient.


I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I made it exactly like I typed above in the recipe and counted the calories.  This has 120 calories for each serving and it makes two servings.  I think this is a lot better than 450 calories that you would get from McDonald's, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment