Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Jen's Mexican Casserole

Lately, I've been indulging in preparing new dishes for my family that I've found on the internet at different sites.  It's been something I've really been amusing myself with.  I enjoy cooking and I've also had some extra time on my hands, so why not live it up with something I really take pleasure in.  I was thinking today about some ingredients that I thought would make a good dish, so I concocted my own recipe.  I'm excited to say, it turned out great I thought.  Here is my new dish I want to share with you, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Jen's Mexican Casserole

1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 onion, diced
1/3 C sweet red and yellow peppers, diced
1 can crushed tomatoes, blended
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
2 tsp chile powder
1 C water
3 C shredded colby or mexican blend cheese
12 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown ground beef in a pan with diced onion and peppers.  Drain excess grease.  Place ground beef back into the skillet and add the packet of taco seasoning and just a little bit of water to mix.  In another bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, soups, water and chile powder and blend until smooth.  Now add the ground beef mixture to the soup mixture and mix well.  In a greased 9x13 pan, place a layer of 6 corn tortillas torn into pieces on the bottom of the pan.  Next add a layer of the ground beef and soupy mixture, then add a layer of shredded cheese, just 1 cup.  Repeat the layers one more time, but don't add the last layer of cheese yet.  Bake uncovered for half an hour or until brown and bubbling.  Next spread the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese evenly on top and it will melt all by itself.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment