Monday, July 2, 2012

Sauerkraut And Weiners

Mom made this at our last church pot luck because her and I were trying to be good and stick with our diet.  We knew if one of us didn't make something we could "legally" eat on a diet, we would go bonkers and eat everything in sight since we have too many good cooks at church.  I had not eaten Sauerkraut and Weiners in a very long time, so it really hit the spot for me and actually left me wanting more.  Today was the day I decided I might as well make some for myself.  Here's the recipe of my mom's low calorie version of Sauerkraut and Weiners.  Enjoy.

Mom's Sauerkraut and Weiners

3 (14.5 oz) cans of sauerkraut
1 (12 oz) package of Jennie-O turkey franks
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp margarine or butter

In a skillet on top of stove, pour in the olive oil and turn stove top to medium heat.  Cut up the weiners into 1/2 inch pieces or larger if you like and place them in the skillet.  Brown the weiners just a little.  Now add the margarine and open the cans of sauerkraut and dump them into the skillet, keep cooking on medium heat for about 10 minutes with a lid on top.  Stir and then turn down heat to low and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes until the kraut is good and done to your liking.

If you don't care about the calories, I suggest cooking the sauerkraut in bacon grease in place of the oil.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment