Thursday, August 30, 2012

Jillee's Homemade Laundry Detergent

Has anyone else noticed how expensive cleaning items are getting?  The items seem to either be increasing in price or remaining the same in price but decreasing in the size of the product you actually receive.  If you haven't recognized this, you might start keeping an eye on products you normally buy to see if it's happening to items you use.  I normally purchase Tide for our laundry detergent, however, since it seems to keep increasing in price, I thought I would try to look for money saving options on other detergents.

I found this website and saw several money saving options on cleaning supplies I thought I would try.  I made the fast and easy homemade laundry detergent over the weekend and used it Monday night; I thought it worked very well.  It's extremely easy to make and it will save me a lot of money to boot.  I'm a very happy camper!  There are a couple other recipes on her website that I'm going to try.  When I do, I'll let you know how they worked.  Enjoy this one!


Jillee’s Super Fast & Easy Homemade Laundry Detergent
www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com
(recipe amounts are for one gallon and it makes 3 recipes/gallons at a time.)

3 Tablespoons Borax
3 Tablespoons Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons Dawn Dish Soap or any other dish soap
3 empty one gallon bottles(I used Hawaiian Punch bottles)
small plastic funnel


Line up (3) one gallon jugs (old Minute Maid O.J. bottles or Hawaiian Punch bottles) and then add the ingredients assembly line style.  Use a small plastic funnel for this and it helps to make it all go much faster and with much fewer spills.

Once all three jugs have the 3 ingredients inside, pour 4 cups of VERY HOT water into each one.  Just use water from the kitchen faucet, it doesn’t need to be boiling. Swirl each bottle until all the ingredients are dissolved in the liquid. Then fill almost to the top with cold water. (Bubbles will overflow out of the bottle a little.)

It is NOT a THICK liquid detergent, it’s quite thin in fact. But it works JUST AS WELL! It has little to no suds (just like the grated soap kind).  BECAUSE it is thin….you'll end up using more of it than the thicker “cooked” version…usually AROUND a cup. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, but that is all right since it's SO inexpensive and easy to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment